Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Vacation in the Rocky Mountains


Andi and I make it a point to take one vacation a year.  We call it our annual honeymoon and this year we went to Rocky Mountain National Park.  We camped out at the beautiful Moraine Park and we had fun staying in our modest backpacking tent and cooking our own food.  We both enjoy the outdoors and I particularly enjoyed stretching my legs after a series of long road trips.  

I did learn an important lesson.  I tried baking biscuits using a backpacking s
tove and a double boiler with two pots.  I learned this trick from a Peace Corps Volunteer while I lived in Kenya for a summer.  You can see, however, things didn't work so well and I actually burned through an entire pot.  I'd like to talk to that PCV about how she did that.......

One of the days we were at Rocky Mountain National Park we drove up Trail Ridge road that took us way above the tree line into the tundra.  Near the Alpine Visitor's center we ran into several huge elk.  Good times and it was great
 to experience God's presence and divine creativity in the great outdoors.  Equally as fulfilling was getting to spend quality time with my best friend and wife, Andi.

No comments: