Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sagle and Bonner County

After leaving the Lewis and Clark area, I headed up to Sagle, ID to spend some time with Wayne Gunter.  Wayne is the pastor of the Sagle congregation and is wise soul with more knowledge than I will be able to obtain.  He is a librarian by passion and profession.  He took my by the library where he is the administrator in Sandpoint, ID as well as a smaller branch in Clark Fork, ID that is also in his jurisdiction.  Both libraries were well equipped both with resources and pleasant people, although I am kind of a nerd when it comes to libraries.  

Wayne also took me inside of the Sagle church, which also has a library.  Inside 
the Sagle church in the sanctuary are some peculiar looking pews that were made by the 
first missionaries out of shipping crates.  As Wayne and I were talking he asked me about my family heritage and told me that the first missionaries to Sagle were Chatburns and they had built those pews.  I do have a long heritage in the church and I knew that some Chatburns had settled in Idaho, but I had no idea that when I went into that church I would be greeted by the work of some of my ancestors.  

Back on the tour of Bonner County, Wayne gave me a first class tour of the sights and beautiful landscape.  While we were at the library in Clark Fork he told me that Viggo Morrison from the Lord of the Ring's movies has a home there - we looked for him, but no luck.  I finished out the day with a dinner at Pat and Candy Moon's home with some other church folks and then headed back to Spokane.  

No comments: