Monday, December 29, 2008

Boise and Tulsa

With the holidays and end of year church business I seem to have fallen a little behind on my blog posting.  Back in November when I was staying with the Fishers I had the chance to preach at the Boise Congregation.  The Boise Community of Christ is made up of wonderful people, most of whom are fairly progressive in nature.  I was able to sit in on an adult Sunday School class taught by Tony Dennis (former superintendent in the Boise school district) and it was really well done.  I enjoyed speaking there and I hope the folks enjoyed hearing me.  We had a great meal afterwards and then I hopped on a plane and headed home.  It was a bit weird to make it back from Boise in less than two days! (normally I drive).

The week following my excursion to Idaho I spent a day in the town I grew up in - Tulsa, OK.  Oklahoma is now part of my assignment for Disciple's Generous Response and I made an initial visit to see how I could be helpful. 

 The city of Tulsa has changed a lot since I lived there as a kid and the
 Tulsa Central Congregation is experiencing new vitality through their youth outreach program.  I had lunch with Jack Ferenbacher, who is a Bishop and Financial Officer for the Oklahoma Mission Center.  Jack is a straight shooter and it is always good to hear his opinion.  In the evening I spent time with the Adult Class during the Wednesday evening activities.  I really enjoyed reconnecting with people who had been my mentors as I grew up and 
I am looking forward to giving back to people who have been impo
rtant in my life.   

No comments: