Monday, April 6, 2009

February Road Trip Part 6

Robin was a part of workshop/network gathering in Billings.  So I dropped her off there and picked up Dave Long.  Dave is a quality guy and the former Financial Officer for the Inland West Mission Center.  He and traveled five and a half hours northeast of Billings to a town called Culbertson, MT.  

Culbertson is the most isolated congregation we have and I wanted to make an effort to meet the folks there, even if I couldn't be with them on a Sunday.  Dave and I travelled up on Friday night and met with Scotty and La Vonne Scotson on Saturday morning.  Scotty and La Vonne are great people with a wealth of gifts and talents.  Their family runs three different furniture stores in thetowns of Culbertson, Sidney, and Williston.  In addition, Scotty also drives a charter bus.  




Scotty showed us the inside of the Culbertson church.  I didn't know this, but that is the church where Dave and his wife Sherry were married.  It is in great shape and has lots of character.  I plan to make it back to Culbertson some time in the not to distant future, I think I have some things to learn about tenacity from folks in isolated congregations.  




After visiting in Culbertson, Dave and met with a church member in Williston, ND.  We no longer have a church presence in Willistion, ND since the congregation closed a number of years ago.  We met with Art (the church member there) to perform some of the final duties associated with closing a congregation and to do our best to keep him connected to the body.  After our meeting Dave and I drove by the church in Williston.  We no longer own the building, but the old church name is still engraved in the front of it.  

No comments: